We are getting reports of cancellations of conferences and other gatherings around the country. We would like to provide some guidance associated with official university travel.
Current Official University Travel
- If travel has been pre-approved and the plans are cancelled or changed due to circumstances beyond the traveler’s control (e.g., a meeting or conference is cancelled by the host; flights are cancelled; the destination is designated as a Level 2 or 3 area by the Centers for Disease Control); your personal physician advises against travel due to health reasons), the university will cover any pre-paid, cancellation, or change fees from a state or discretionary funding source. If paid from grants, please check with Contracts and Grants as to whether reimbursement can be paid from the grant or another source must be identified.
- If the cancellation or change is made based on personal preference, it will be the employee’s obligation to pay any penalties or charges.
- Refunding of any expenses that have been charged to university sources including pre-paid expenses must be repaid to the university.
- Any other credits or refunds provided to the traveler must be used for university related travel or reimbursed to the university or sponsored fund source.
- Proof of cancellation will be required.
Future Travel Plans
- Effective March 2, UNCG has prohibited university-related travel to CDC-designated Level 2 and Level 3 countries. The University will not reimburse travel to these areas if the travel originated on or after that date.
- Faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to register any international travel plans here. Please consult with the International Programs Office if you have questions.
- UNCG is not currently placing any restrictions on domestic travel. Please use your personal judgment. If you choose to travel to areas in our country that have been impacted, please be aware that recommendations regarding self-quarantine can change quickly. Should that happen, the University may put restrictions in place.
We strongly encourage anyone with travel plans to consult the CDC and State Department websites to ensure you are aware of the most up-to-date recommendations. In addition, regular campus updates about coronavirus are being posted on the UNCG COVID-19 website. If existing protocols are established or additional protocols become necessary, we will communicate with you as soon as possible.For questions about travel associated with sponsored programs, contact Contract and Grants Accounting, the Associate Dean of Research in your college or school, or the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement. Other travel related questions can be directed to Accounts Payable.