As we welcome back students to campus for the beginning of a semester like none we have known before, many of our faculty and staff continue to face challenges in balancing personal and professional obligations as COVID-19 continues to impact our lives. As a reminder, below is information regarding special leave provisions and other options to help with this challenge.
- Emergency Paid Sick Leave and Childcare Expanded Family and Medical Leave: The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) offers leave options for eligible employees that include 80 hours of Emergency Paid Sick Leave and up to 12 weeks of Expanded Family and Medical Leave (FML) to provide childcare because of schools or daycares being closed due to COVID-19 through December 31, 2020. Employees must apply and be approved for this leave and may supplement the leave with other accrued leave (special administrative leave is no longer available).
- Eldercare Leave: Employees may receive COVID-19 Administrative leave for Eldercare needs due to eldercare facilities being closed because of COVID-19. This leave mirrors the childcare leave provided in the FFCRA.
- Employees who cannot telework and do not have remote work available: Employees must use their own accrued leave. If employees do not have leave available, they may apply for leave without pay.
- Employees under mandatory quarantine and not cleared to return to work: Employees who have exhausted all of the FFCRA Emergency Paid Sick Leave, and all other accrued leave, who are still unable to work due to being subject to quarantine/isolation order, due to being advised to quarantine, or due to experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and awaiting a diagnosis may receive COVID-19 Administrative Leave at 100% of their pay up to 160 hours.
- Expanded Community Service Leave: Permanent employees who wish to volunteer time with non-profit organizations on COVID-19 activities may use up to 80 hours of Expanded Community Service Leave. Employees must gain approval from their supervisors before using this leave. These hours are accounted for separately from an employee’s regular community service leave allotment. Additional information on accounting for this time will be provided at a later date.
- Accrued leave can be used interchangeably: Through December 31, 2020, employees can use their accrued sick leave, vacation and bonus leave interchangeably, regardless of the reason for their absence. The reason does not have to be related to COVID-19. For example, an employee may use their sick leave for a vacation or vacation leave for a medical reason.
Please let us know us know if you have any questions. We appreciate your continued support as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and the affect it has had on campus operations.
Resources and Assistance