November 17, 2020
Given the current rates of COVID-19 in the community, there is considerable concern about the potential for increased viral spread during the Thanksgiving holiday. One specific area of concern is the possibility of college students unknowingly exposing their family members to the virus when they travel home for the winter break. As such, UNCG has organized a series of testing clinics throughout this week.
Only individuals who do not have symptoms, have not been in close contact recently with someone who has tested positive, and are not currently in quarantine should attend these clinics. In addition, the CDC does not recommend testing for anyone who has tested positive within the prior 90 days.Testing options for this week are as follows:
Option No. 1
- When: Tuesday, Nov. 17, through Thursday, Nov. 19, from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m
- Where: EUC Maple Room
Testing on Tuesday – Thursday will be conducted by Mako Medical, and is being paid for by the University. Insurance information will not be collected.
- Before you go for testing, you will also need to complete the pre-registration form.
- Note that the “free testing” option is already pre-selected
- For question No. 5 of the state-required questions, answer “No”
- Once completed, you will receive an email with a QR/Booking ID.
- When you arrive for your appointment, open the email so the testing team can scan the QR code.
- If you are unable to pre-register, you will be able to register on-site. Please bring a form of ID.
- You will receive your result directly from Mako Medical within 2-3 days.
- You will be given the opportunity to sign a waiver that allows Mako Medical to report your result directly to the UNCG Case Management Team
- By law, Mako Medical must report all results to the public health department. Guilford County Public Health, in turn, will inform us if you test positive.
- You will receive information about what to do if you test positive at your testing appointment.
Option No. 2
- When: Friday, Nov. 20, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Where: EUC Dail Room
The testing clinic on Friday will be run by StarMed. StarMed files insurance, but there is no out of pocket cost even if insurance does not provide reimbursement.
- No appointment is needed
- Results will be available directly from StarMed to students in 3-4 days.
- Pre-registering with the vendor, StarMed, will help minimize any waiting time. You can pre-register by doing either of the below. When asked if you will be at a testing site, please select “Yes”.
- Text COVID to (704) 850-6996
- Visit https://unityphm.com/campaigns/starmed
As always, individuals who test positive should complete the Self Report Form. The UNCG Case Management Team will work with any students who test positive and need to be isolated, or who are identified as close contacts and need to be quarantined, to determine the best course of action given the impending holiday and their particular living arrangement. The University is prepared to support residential students who need to remain on campus over the holiday for isolation or quarantine.
The UNCG Case Management Team will continue to carry out contact tracing and coordination with our local public health officials as needed through the months of November and December.
IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS
Student Health Services will continue to provide testing for symptomatic students and their close contacts. The hours for SHS for the remainder of November are:
- Monday – Friday
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Closed Nov. 26 and Nov. 27
- Saturday and Sunday
- 12 p.m. – 3 p.m. on Nov. 14-15 and Nov. 21-22
- Closed Nov. 28 and Nov. 29
Please keep monitoring your UNCG email, social media channels, and our COVID-19 website regularly for the latest updates. Thank you, and please be careful and stay safe.